Memories of Mattie Gowen
by Samuel J Hemphill
January 25, 1991
Today I received the call of Mattie's death from Rev. Fred. I walked into my study and was in tears at my loss.
Rev. Fred and her daughters have requested that I share some of my memories of this special friend. Ministering to her was a joy. She always gave so much in return.
I remember her as a delightful person. Her smile and sense of humor reflected the light of God which was in her. She always had an enthusiastic response when I visited her.
Mattie called me, "The man with the white mustache." She would laugh and greet me in her warm, delightful way. Such an occasion was a time in which Mattie would do a bit of flirting with me. This was such a compliment from a dear lady. At these times we were especially close.
I would read from the Psalms and have prayer with her. She appreciated this. But the real times that Mattie's faith shown through was when she sang the hymns she loved so well. Mattie sang her faith. She drew strength from the hymns of faith. And she witnessed and shared that faith by singing them.
Her favorite hymn was, "Sunshine in My Soul Today." There was sunshine in Mattie's soul, which shone through and told of the faith of this hardy woman whose length of life at 105 years was fully lived.
I only have one more thing to say. I look forward to heaven when Mattie and I will once again sing together the great hymns of the faith. The very light of God that shown from her soul has surely brightened heaven all the more.
Mattie, I love you and thank God for you.
-The man with the white mustache
No comments:
Post a Comment